Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Juggernaut

Many of you do not know my I.D.,
But look at me and you’ll never forget,
Get in my way and you’ll fall, guarantee,
I run through walls without breaking a sweat.

I’m huge, I’m red, my outfit is metal,
View me with fear, because everyone does,
Most shall see, I weigh more than a petal,
If you’re hit, your head will be in a buzz.

Many have died trying to slow me down,
It takes some time for me to get going,
As I watch people fly, I do not frown,
If I’m angry, fists I’ll be throwing.

I am the juggernaut; I’ll say it loud,
I’m strong as an ox; I’ll run over a crowd.

I chose to write about the DC Comics character, Juggernaut, for two main reasons. One, he is not very well known by most of society, and two, this was my nickname in high school. People used to and still call me this because when I played football I was hard to tackle, and in baseball I was considered a power-hitter. Some of the football guys on varsity during my junior year said I reminded them of the juggernaut for how I ran when I had possession of the ball, and the name has stuck with me ever since. As far as the poem goes, I have never written one in my life before, so I have attempted a sonnet. I focused mostly on the rhyme scheme and making sure each line had ten syllables. Other than that, the poem basically describes what the character looks like and what he does, and that is run over and through things.

1 comment: